Established in 1990, Manipal Hospital is a landmark, multi-specialty health destination managed by Asia’s largest hospital management group. They are a tertiary care hospital with state-of-the-art technology and 600-bed strength, providing sophisticated and specialized medical services at affordable costs in over 39 specialties. The warm ambience of the hospital, its team of cheerful and dedicated doctors, and over 1700 well-trained support staff ensure that the best in healthcare services is given to all patients. Manipal Hospital, functioning since 1991 as Karnataka’s first super specialty hospital, includes super specialized wings such as: Manipal Heart Foundation, Manipal Institute of Neurological Disorders, Manipal Institute of Nephrology and Urology, Manipal Hospital Diagnostic Services, Manipal School of Nursing, Manipal Pathology & Lab and Manipal International Institute of Dental Medicine.
Manipal Hospitals is required to store all Medical Records of Patients. Medical Records were stored in a physical file and paper format. The Medical Records Department (MRD) is the custodian of Medical records.
Need for Document / Records Management System
- Retrieval of the file manually was a major concern of Manipal Hospital, this resulted in inordinate delays / missing of file / mishandling of the manual file / torn records etc.
- Repeated Manual entry of patient data or other related information was cumbersome and error prone too.
- Files were misplaced, lost or not returned to the Medical Records Department.
- Diseases Classification not maintained, thus making the search for a specific case sheet from a file was a tedious task.
- No space was available to store the physical records. They had already exhausted the space in five large rooms where they stored around 30 million of physical documents and this was adding up to high real estate cost.
- Referencing of related medical records manually was quite difficult.
- There was no proper system for access to the medical records by consultants, research assistants, MRD etc.
- 25% of the documents are prints of HIS and Billing system wherein the cost of the paper, printing, photocopying is was incredibly high.
A detailed system study, current practices, need for a record management system and requirement analysis was conducted.
The project included onsite scanning and digitization of over 30 Million medical records, dating back to many years.
All scanned medical records were tagged and indexed based on Unique ID, department, consultant attended, demographics, date of registration and also included ICD 10 coding of the diseases.
The physical/paper based medical records was digitally transformed and uploaded into Contentverse using the Automated Input Processor.
Contentverse was also integrated with the Hospital Information System
All the digitized medical records were accessible from within the HIS system.
Factors for Contentverse ROI
- Contentverse is used at over 11 hospitals of Manipal Group at different locations, starting with Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
- Estimated current volumes of 50+ million documents
- Secure and Quick access to past medical records
- Cross Reference of medical records where consultants can refer to the previous diagnosis, medical history and medications for a patient
- Links provided to media files
- Tracking of all activities carried out by different consultants, clinicians, nurses, medical record department, staff etc.,
- Facility for searching a case sheet like radiology, cardiology, pathology with in a medical record file
- User Management – access rights
- Reduced space for physical storage. Reduction in printing and photocopying costs
- High availability clustered environment
- Near instant RoI achieved
Leave a Comment