Biocon Limited is a globally recognized, innovation-led organization that is enabling access to high quality, advanced therapies for diseases that are chronic, where medical needs are largely unmet and treatment costs are high.
Biocon has developed and commercialized a differentiated portfolio of novel biologics, biosimilars, and complex small molecule APIs in India and several key global markets, as well as, generic formulations in the U.S. and Europe. Biocon is a leading global player for biosimilars and APIs for statins, immunosuppressants and other specialty molecules, with customers in over 120 countries.
Biocon had accumulated large volumes of physical and electronic documents over the years; storing, searching and retrieving documents was a tedious and time-consuming task. BIOCON needed a document management solution that can be used to manage all their documents
Need for a Document Management Solution
The specific needs included scan documents, ability to quickly search and retrieve files, apply robust electronic security on documents, establish access controls, track history of usage and maintain comprehensive audit trials.
The Legal Department of Biocon were the early movers and initiated the implementation a DMS solution that can manage their ever-growing repository of documents.
A complete turnkey solution was designed based on Contentverse (formerly ViewWise) as the DMS solution to meet their needs.
The project started with scanning of all Biocon’s physical records and bringing them into Contentverse as electronic records. The features and functionality that made Biocon choose Contentverse over other competitors include:
Reasons for Choosing Contentverse
- Enables the linking of all file format types into compound documents, which are then organized in user-definable hierarchical storage structure (cabinet, drawer, folder and sub folder configurations).
- Contentverse Virtual Print: which can bring in any printable documents/images/app screens directly to Contentverse through the Contentverse printer feature.
- Automatic Document versioning/revisioning and the ability to access and roll back to previous versions.
- Robust security, encryption and data integrity. Audit Trails.
- Ability to OCR a region of text from an image (i.e. scanned document) and add the extracted information as document meta data.
- Automatic Certified Document Cover Page creation with information like date and time, document type, creation date, creator, version, and index field names and values
- Automatic generation and application of a Globally Unique Identification string (GUID) on documents.
- Document compression
Factors for Contentverse ROI
Biocon achieved a near instant ROI in the following areas:
- Efficiency in document creation, storage, and distribution
- Enhanced security of documents over physical storage
- Increased productivity when searching for documents
- Cost benefit through electronic distribution
Over the course of time, the user base for Contentverse grew within Biocon and expanded to their other business units (Syngene, Clinigene, BBPL, etc.,).
At Biocon, Contentverse is used primarily by their Legal, Quality Department, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Project Departments.